Business Insider’s top advertising and media stories for September 29 – Business Insider
Hi! Welcome to the Insider Advertising daily for September 29. I’m Tanya Dua, a senior advertising reporter at Business Insider, filling in for my colleague Lauren Johnson while she’s away this week. Subscribe here to get this newsletter in your inbox every weekday. Send me feedback or tips at email@example.com.
Today’s news: Complex Networks branches out into product development, how to crack Instagram’s competitive interview process, and the up-and-coming marketing professionals shaking things up at brands.
Complex Networks made millions selling products like hot sauce, and now it’s applying that playbook to other brands
- Complex Networks has parlayed its sneaker- and hip-hop-focused media brands into a business selling related products like hot sauce, skateboards, and hoodies.
- Now it wants to apply that know-how to help brands like Pepsi and Champs develop products of their own with a new agency, Climate, reports Lucia Moses.
- It has plenty of competition, but Complex thinks its leadership, audience data, and media distribution will give it an edge.
- Instagram, which has exploded since Facebook acquired it for $1 billion in 2012, has a highly competitive hiring process, report Lauren Johnson and Sydney Bradley.
- Former employees and experts they spoke to shared tips and tricks to nail the interview process, saying that referrals play a big role in giving candidates a leg up, as does knowing Instagram and its competitors’ features.
- Candidates go through a series of interviews at Instagram and meet with multiple people, and should be open to roles other than the ones they applied for as Instagram even tweaks roles for specific candidates.
Hulu; Uber; Frito-Lay; P&G; Yuqing Liu/Business Insider
- Business Insider has launched its first list recognizing the rising marketing talent at brands.
- I profiled 25 such up-and-comers who are shepherding breakthrough campaigns for their companies, setting up internal agencies, or using media to reach consumers in new ways.
- These marketing professionals come from established brands like Procter & Gamble and Frito-Lay as well as challenger ones like Kin Euphorics and Verb Energy.
Other stories we’re reading:
Get the latest Google stock price here.